Friday, January 06, 2006

A Tribute to Roald Dahl

Willie Wonka- the creepy kids movie from the 70's was on TV last night. No, this was not the remake starring Johnny Depp that had recently come out, but the full blown trippy version, that makes me think if I had ever done LSD, I would make sure I would watch this movie while doing it. Now this movie is incredibly creepy, there is something not right with this movie, and yet kids of all ages love it, regardless of late night dreams filled with Oompa Loompas singing songs of horrible children and there horrible endings.

Now, I suppose you are thinking this post is about Willie Wonka, Its not. I'm sorry to disappoint. Its really about Roald Dahl, and the books he wrote. I'm not going to claim to have read them all, just some, but all his kids books, and even the one adult short story book I have read, are all a little creepy, very dark, but most entertaining.

My favorite is Matilda. I have read this book at least once a year since I got it back in the late 80's (wow, that makes feel old, I was something like 10 or 12 when I first read it, now, I'm 27) Anyway, the plot goes something like this:
Matilda lives with her horrible family. Her dad is a used car salesman who, well, lets just put it this way: Don't buy a car from him. Her Mom is dyes her hair platinum blond and plays Bingo every afternoon. Her brother, well, he's perfectly average. But Matilda is a genius. She taught herself how to read at the age of two, reading Charles Dickens at age of 3. When Matilda goes to school, Her Teacher Ms. Honey, realizes Matilda's a genius, and tries to get Matilda in harder classes, unfortunately, the Headmistress (this story takes place in England, like most of Roald Dahls Works), Miss Trunchbull,Now, Miss Trunchbull is a horrible person. She used to throw the Shot Put for England's Track and Field team. While not in training currently, she like to stay in shape by throwing kids who have made her angry. She thinks a small child weighs about the same as the shot put. Now, I'm not going to tell you the rest of the story, but because its Roald Dahl, its a little creepy, and everyone gets what they deserve.

Another book I really like is James and the Giant Peach. Basically, magic crystals make some bugs really smart, and a peach grow really big. James escapes from his bad greedy aunts, and after some adventures, ends up in New York

I have also read "The Witches" in which a small boy gets turned into a mouse, and I believe, the book "BFG", which stands for Big Friendly Giant. I don't remember too much about that one. Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory has a sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. This book is not as good as the first Charlie book, and definitely not as good as Matilda. So if you haven't read these books yet, go do so, as kids books, they are easy to read, but very very enjoyable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home