Sunday, May 15, 2005

Movie Review - Lemony Snickets a Series of Unfortunate Events

I just rented Lemony Snickets a Series of Unfortunate Events, and my thoughts on it was that it was unfortunate that it was made into a movie. The movie had the right elements, with the right acting, but it doesn't work because instead of a deeply seriously funny kids story, it just looked silly or else it just felt creepy, and not in a good way. The dialogue also sounded silly, where in the books, it was very fitting, and seemed to make sense. The books work because its uses the power of the absurd- meaning everything is so outrageous, from the baby with the sharp teeth, to the henchman with two hooks for arms, that in a movie, all these elements get lost. I liked the soundtrack. It worked quite nicely and it caught the mood. The animation during the credits was awesome! I paid close attention to that. It paid homage to the PBS Mystery! opening credits which are also fun to watch.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just watched that last night! I bought the DVD, cause I liked it in the theater. I still liked the movie. But it takes a lot for me to not like a movie. I think my least favorite part of the movie was Jim Carrey. I like him, but I just didn't think he fit this type of movie, even though he did a good job as Olaf. It's funny that you mentioned the ending credits, because last night I watched them all the way through. I am in love with that art style!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

You're right about Jim Carrey, I really didn't like him, and I think that was a big problem I had with the movie.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home