Sunday, January 22, 2006

A quick review of some books I've read recently

~Ok, so here's the really big list (sort of) of books I've read~

The Complete Artemis Fowl Series - by Eoin Colfer - It's About a super genius kid criminal and the Fairy World. Its entertaining, but only that. I finally figured out what I don't like about these books, and its the writing style. Very much a Dean Koontz, or Stephen King, or even James Patterson. I find this style rather boring, and much in need of a whole lot more details.

Wicked - by Gregory Maguire - I liked it. It tells the story of the Wicked Witch of the West thought the viewpoint of the Witch. Its a completely different story than Wizard of Oz. When I finished this book, it really left me thinking, so what is Wicked?- Also there's a new Broadway musical based on this book.

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and The Collision of Two Cultures - by Annie Fadiman - A very well written real life story about Linn, a Hmong child with diagnosed with severe seizures, and a brief, but accurate look about the culture of her people, and how the Hmong people relate to American Culture. Basically what it comes down to, is that the Hmong do not think, act, or want the same thing as what Western Culture wants. A very good book. Well worth reading.

On Human Bondage - by W. Somerset Maugham - Basically a look at a poor gentleman in 1890 and the choices he makes. Its a book about relationships. It is not a difficult book, and it is fairly easy to read, but it is dense, my copy of this book at 656 pages, of small type. I think the thing that makes this book a favorite is that the main character, Philip Carey, that almost anyone can relate to him. I highly recommend this classic from the early 20th century.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home