Thursday, December 14, 2006

So my vet said...

... that wet cat food is absolutely no good for cats. It makes them fat, and causes gingivitis. This is all well and good, except my two have come to love their wet cat food each night. Each cat gets 1/2 can of it, and it makes them happy, so to keep happy cats, but not feed wet cat food, I've decided to institute a real, non processed bit of meat instead of full-of-calories and preservatives but yet tasty wet cat food.

Last night, my meal was turkey hamburger helper, the cats meal: turkey hamburger (no helper) with egg. Of course Bentley sniffed it and walked away- and the kitten stuck her paw out, touched it, jumped back, sniffed it, touched it again, and then grabbed a piece and ran, leaving a nice trail of turkey hamburger and egg.

My meal tonight was: broiled fish. Yum! Their meal: the leftover broiled cod I didn't eat. Again, Bentley sniffed it, and ate the dry kibble. The kitten seemed to think it was newly dead, and went through the paw it, jump backwards from it, and then the grab and run technique she perfected with the previous meal. Now I have bits of fish all over my kitchen floor.

For those of you who are worried about the cat's nutrition: It's replacing 1/4 of their total food. Cats require a large amount of taurine to function, and I don't have the skills to completely replace their food with something a little bit more non-processed. I also don't have the time, not the inclination. As to why do I do this? well, cat food is only there to make people's life easier, not cats. That brown kibble they eat might be nutritious, but also not found in the wild. Happy cats = a variety of foods, and in mostly original shapes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home