Sunday, February 12, 2006

Things Accomplished, Things Still Need to be Done

Remember my New Year's List? well, I already broke my first resolution, although it was because of my second... Yes, I found a job. I moved in yesterday, and I start tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't have internet until next Monday, so I will have to post from a little cafe, in the middle of nowhere.

So a little about my job, Its exactly what I want to do, but its in Montevideo, MN. A little town, 2 hours west of the cities, with nothing much to it. During my first trip here, looking for houses, I discovered that there is some sort of art scene hear, along with a large number of organic/ environmentalist type people, so it might not all be country music and cows. I checked out the library yesterday, and finally got a library card for the Pioneer Land Library System. My Mom should be proud of me. Now, all late fines I acrue will be on my card, not hers.

The job itself seems to be good. Its for company called the Upper Minnesota Valley Development Commission, its works with the five counties in the area to do things that the individual counties can't do, or won't. GIS falls in this category. None of the five counties need thier own GIS person, so UMVDC provides one for them. I will got to do a lot of different things, and hopefully get the experience that I need to get a job closer to the cities.

The other nice thing about this area, is that house prices are low. What will go for 150,000 or more in the cities, goes for about 65,000 here. So, if I like this place, I might be getting a house sooner than anticipated. And when I get a house, there will be a dog.

I really like this coffee shop. Its warm, and homey, and the cheesecake I had for breakfast was yummy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home