Monday, March 06, 2006

In Memorium of a Childhood Hero

Today, the Great Baseball Player, Kirby Puckett Died. Twins Baseball was a part of my life when I was a kid. I was in second grade when the Twins, along with Kirby Puckett and others won the world series. It was a such a big deal... I was so excited that they made it. Kirby Puckett was the star. I'm sure that Kent Hrbeck, Frank Viola, and others were just as much stars as Kirby was, but its Mr. Puckett that I remember the most. I know after that first World Series, my second grade class teacher, Mrs. Mensing, had us draw a picture of our favorite play in the World Series. I drew Kirby PUckett hitting a triple slam. Yes, I know, he never did that, but I was 8 and triple slams were about the most exciting thing that could happen in baseball, and Kirby Pucket was the best player, so it worked in my head. You always hear about the games from the golden age, with Babe Ruth, and Lou Gherig and how it was the golden time of Baseball. For me, the summer of my second grade, I never missed a baseball game.

Wikipedia Entry on the 1987 World Series Game

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home